Weekend Scores {and I’m not talking football…}

I love a good thrifting Saturday, don’t you?

For those of you who don’t know, I live in Idaho. And I’m from Arizona. So yeah, winters pretty much suck for me. I hate being cold! And I despise driving in snow and ice. Last year was my first winter in good ol’ Idaho Falls and I felt like I was literally trapped in my house. I’m happy to say that we’ve been having really weird weather so far and we’ve only had a few snow storms this winter. It’s been unseasonably warm the past few weeks (yes, 40 degrees is WARM here!) So I have been getting out and doing lots of shopping, and this weekend I made a quick stop at one of the local thrift stores. Here’s what I scored for less than $4…

Pretty sweet huh? I found the mirror for $2 and the carved horse bookend for $1.75! The horse is actually pretty big, over 12″ tall and super heavy :) It didn’t have its’ matching pair but I think it will look just fine all by itself in my bookshelves. I was planning on painting the mirror frame, but now that have it home, I kinda like the gold. What do you think?

One last score for the weekend….
I got this King size headboard on Craigslist… and as soon as I had paid for it and had it in my house I started having a little bit of buyers’ remorse. Please validate my purchase!! I have been wanting a tufted headboard for my Master Bedroom makeover and I thought it would be easy to recover with another fabric. Had anyone tried this? Also, I wanted a creamy white bed, and this is much more ivory in person. I really don’t want to repaint it… but my duvet cover is white, and I just like white better than off-white. Anyway, last night I was searching on pinterest for some inspiration for my fabric, and I found this:
Isn’t it gorgeous? It is done in a gray linen called “Fog”…. I love the color combination of the light gray and cream-colored frame around the bed. It is the same color as my Craigslist find! And it looks great with the white linens, don’t you think? {Oh yeah, and by the way, this gorgeous bed costs $1850! Seriously, someone would pay that?}
I’d love some opinions :) I was originally planning to do something patterned, or a bold pop of color like one of these:
But I think now I am in love with the gray linen… I can always add some fun pillows for my color infusion. If you want to see more plans for my Master Bedroom, go here.

What do you all think? Did I score this weekend? :)

Linking to:

Tip Junkie handmade projects

Comments

Are you serious or are you teasing!?! Buyers remorse!?!? I’d be doing the Happy Dance! It’s GORGEOUS! I love your horse and totally am obsessed with us being twinkies because I have the exact same mirror I picked up a few weeks ago!!! You DEFINITELY scored!

XO, Aimee

Fun! Love the headboard and love the grey idea. You could definitely use some color with the pilllows. Remember when I was looking for a mirror for Miss Ally’s room. Your mirror score would be perfect. Too bad we don’t live closer, I need some thrift store shopping with my bff!

Oh my! I am in love with your thrift store scores! I scored a cute hand carved rhino yesterday for 2 dollars! Some equine bookends a week or so ago for 8 total, I think. And I’m doing the happy dance over those! I would love to find what you did! I’ve been looking for some decorative frames and mirrors, baroque style. Just can’t seem to find them:(

As soon as I saw your headboard my jaw dropped, I loooove it! I’m more of a white person, myself, but you can make creamy work! In fact for the bedroom I think I would prefer creamy! Keep Googling for tutorials. I know I read a blog the other day that said how to recover something that was already tufted. I know there is a tutorial somewhere. I just can’t remember the blog name.

4. jdzjane says

That headboard is beautiful. Not sure how much you paid for it but I’m sure it was totally worth it. I would have picked it up in a heart beat.

Hi Holly and Nat!! I just found your blog via a linky party somewhere for your paint chip heart pennant. SUPER Cute. Also, I love your blog! This thrift store find is fabulous. YES keep it. You can totally make it into something phenomenal. Can’t wait to see it. I’m your newest follower. Every post I look at is so fun! Stop by and see me if you like!
    -Allie of Miss Lovie

Oh, girl, you scored BIG time! That headboard is to die for….such beautiful curves! You get that done up in the gray and it could give that $1850 one a run for it’s money! Oh, and personally….I’d paint the mirror. The horse head is gorgeous…looks like marble from the picture.

And you know what’s funny? I’m in Arizona. And I came from Idaho.