New Twist on an Old Dresser {with sheet metal}

The challenge for American Crafter this week was “Hardware Store Gems”… so naturally, I started by going to Lowe’s to see what I could find. My idea was to completely re-do the dresser in my master bedroom. This thing has got to be at least 20 years old… it is a hand-me-down from my mom. Here’s a look at what I’ve been staring at for the past 8 years when I wake up every morning:

Pretty sad, huh?

Here is what I came across in the sheet metal aisle…

It’s a 24×36″ decorative aluminum sheet {in Union Jack pattern.} It was love at first sight. With a name like “Union Jack” how could I not buy it? It was calling my name… even at $27 a sheet.
OK, before I go any further, can I show you what I did? I can’t wait any longer! I promise I will get to all the other stuff in a minute.
Can I just tell you how much I LOVE walking in my room now? Let’s just have a little reminder of what it looked like before I started this makeover…
Yikes!!!! {If you are here for the first time, please don’t let this picture scare you!} You can read more about it here. But seriously, this dresser makeover has completely transformed my bedroom. (Well, at least one side of it!) It makes me smile every time I look at it.
OK, now on to the good stuff.
I started this project with the biggest DIY splurge I’ve made in the past 6 months… Annie Sloan chalk paint. About a month ago I was driving through Utah and stopped to buy 2 quarts {Pure White and French Linen} and some Clear Wax. Over $100 later, I was wondering if this stuff is all it’s cracked up to be. I’ll tell you more about the painting process and my thoughts about it next week, but I did take some advice from one of my favorite bloggers, Emily at Decor Chick. You can read about her thoughts & tips on AS chalk paint here.
Today, I will be showing you how I created the drawer fronts and updated the hardware for my new dresser!
1. The first thing I needed was a pair of tin snips to cut my aluminum sheet. I went with the Wiss multi-purpose pair ($13) and they worked wonderfully. I measured my drawers, then made sure to cut the metal on the line of the pattern {creating a clean, uniform edge for each piece.}
2. Next, I painted each piece with Pure White chalk paint and a foam roller. 2 coats was perfect. I also sprayed it with a clear polyeruthane to protect it from chipping.
3. I just wanted to see how they looked on the drawers… loving that Union Jack design!
4. Here is what my dresser looked like on Day 2. All painted and waxed, ready to be gussied up :)
5. Now I faced the question I’d been dreading… how am I going to attach these babies to the drawers? My first idea was Gorilla Glue. Then I read the back and realized that it “foams up” to 3 times the size after application. {Not gonna work with all those pretty holes in my pattern.} After taking a closer look, I saw the perfect circle spot that repeated throughout the design. It was the exact size of the Medium Zots {also known as glue dots} that I’ve used on other projects.
6. So I went for it! I attached the Zots around the edge of the sheet, about every other “spot” and a few extras on the corner sections. It worked great! They are attached well, and I just added a few dots of Krazy Glue on the corners to make sure they are really secure.
7. Before I attached the adhesive, I cut holes in the metal {using my tin snips again} to match up with the existing holes for the hardware. Then I attached the Zots and adhered the sheet to the drawer face.
8. Adding the new drawer pulls made me sigh…. ahhhhh. Aren’t they beautiful?
9. Another shot of the new drawers :)
10. I was struggling to find knobs for the top drawer. I wanted something unique to set it apart, but not totally different from the geometric pattern on the other drawers. I found these beauties at JoAnns (70% off too!) They were a little “tribal” for what I was going for, but the shape was perfect.
11. I gave them a few quick coats of white paint and voila…
12. Turning them on the diamond slant completed the look.
So that’s it! Thanks for sticking it out through this post :) Let’s take one more look at the before and after:
Now that I’m done with this, I’m totally motivated to get going on my other Master Bedroom projects. Hopefully I’ll have more to share with you soon.
Happy Friday!

Linking to:
five days five ways  feature friday free for all Positively Splendid The Girl Creative Skip To My Lou Home Stories A2Z Whipperberry Chic on a Shoestring Decorating 52 Mantels The 36th AVENUE Photobucket Chatty Chics TDC Before and After Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

Comments

Visiting from TT&J! What a wonderful makeover. I love that sheet of metal you purchased and also love how you transformed those knobs! Just perfect. Thanks for sharing!

I reviewed all the other projects that were submitted for this challenge and I have to tell you that you hit this one out of the ballpark and it looks to me that you are the clear winner. I voted for you and wish you lots of luck in this round!

I’m too late to vote, but if I’d gotten here on time, you would DEFINITELY have had mine! That is an awesome transformation, and pretty darned inspirational! I see a trip to Lowe’s in my very near future…

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for posting!

5. Anonymous says

Holly, It is amazing! I love it. Why is it that out own bedrooms come last? I started mine almost 2 years ago at “project days” in Pine Valley….Well, maybe I’ll finish it one day & then I’ll be ready to change it. Lisa

this is so awesome! and i don’t know what is going on but i am not getting your blog in my reader- i followed, and then i subscribed too when i realized i wasn’t getting it… i am sure it is a google issue. anyhow, LOVE this dresser- genius!

Hi! Saw this at Someday crafts linky party and had to stop by and take a better look and say hello! So glad I found your blog – am your newest follower! Ok – the dresser…shut the front door!!!! What an ingenious idea to use aluminum sheeting! Such a beautiful transformation and DIY. Love it and love your sunburst mirror – mind sharing where you purchased the mirror? Please visit my blog and say hello – I love to make new bloggy friends :)
    Heather @ settingforfour.blogspot.com

Oh my goodness this is AMAZING! I’m saving this in my files for future reference! This project would be perfect for our linky party featuring “Transformations” called Repurpose-Remodel-Reveal, I know our readers would love to see it too! (It starts tomorrow- Friday, March 16th 2012 at 7:00 am and reoccures every 1st and 3rd Friday)

-Whitney @ TheRoosterAndTheHen

Holy smokes! I can’t even put into words how much I love this transformation and how amazed I am at the beauty of something found in the hardware store! The fact that you even looked at that sheet metal and came up with this idea is pretty cool!

This is the best idea ever! I think I am going to have to copycat you because I am in LOVE with your dresser! Thanks for the detailed instructions!

-Peggy

Thanks for the idea !!!!. Is so cute and such a transformation for sure. and is better than you can buy is solid and wood instead of pressed board.Nice touches to the fronts.

I used a baby crib bed ends.The bed was out in the trash and grabbed it. It was solid wood and 2 inches thick. I sanded it. painted it white and put spacers in to make space out from the wall.Turned it sideways & hang my quilts I made. There is so much you can do with peoples trash if you just happen to get there before the trash man lol!!!!!

Debbie Kelly http://somewhereinstitches.blogspot.com

That is one gorgeous makeover! Old White and French Linen are one of my favorite ASCP color combinations and with the white painted aluminium grills added to the drawer fronts – gorgeous. Love your tribal knobs painted and mounted on the diagonal – so perfect. I found your dresser over at The Cottage Market where Andrea featured it on her Dresser Round-Up. I’m one of your newest followers :)

• says

Marie,
      Thank you for the kind words!!! I feel like this is such an old project, I am so glad that people still find it beautiful! I’m so glad to have you as a new follower. Have a wonderful week!

Trackbacks