DIY Sharpie Mug Valentine Gift

Are you feeling the Valentine’s LOVE yet?  I really like Valentine’s Day. I love making cute little things with my kids and I think it is such a fun holiday! But is it just me, or are guys hard to make things for? You don’t want to give them something too “cutesy”!

This Valentine gift is cheap, easy, heartfelt…and can be filled with food! Perfect for the man in your life (or anyone else you want to cheer up) this Valentine’s Day!

It’s a twist on the fun Sharpie Mug trend. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, here’s the deal: You can write on a ceramic mug (or plate, etc) with a Sharpie marker, bake it, and it’s washable. Cool, right?
I decided to turn this cute oversized mug (from Dollar Tree) into a little love letter. I wrote across the top,”That’s What I Like About You!” and filled in the rest with reasons I love my guy. Easy!
Disclaimer: I do not love my handwriting.
Fact: Most men don’t analyze handwriting like we do! Haha!

Stick the mug on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let it cool completely and you’re all set! Some have had luck with washing in the dishwasher, but I’m going to stick with hand-washing this one.
Finally, I filled it up with some of his favorite red treats. One more gift checked off the list!
What are you making or buying your Valentine this year?
Check out the rest of our Valentine’s projects here:
Find us here:
We love linking to these parties!
Skip To My Lou Tip Junkie handmade projects   Home Stories A2Z Visit thecsiproject.com     Lil'Luna 52 Mantels Photobucket The 36th AVENUE  Whipperberry I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom     It's Overflowing  Positively Splendid

Comments

Perfect fun gift. I like your handwriting…in fact, when I started reading your post I thought “I don’t like my handwriting. At least she has good handwriting.” So I guess nobody likes their own handwriting…lol

What a fabulous gift! I’ve kind of picked ideas for most days leading up to Valentine’s Day, but I love this idea!

Ashley from theonewhereshedreams.blogspot.com

Your handwriting is awesome! I love the sharpie mug idea but I could never make one with my handwriting lol Maybe a heart or another shape of some sort. Super cute idea, Nat! :)

This is a fantastic idea for the Sharpie craze and a love note on a mug is perfect! Love it! Thanks for the idea. Can’t wait to read more!
    Michaela & Amy from Making Life Whimsical

It’s a really cute idea but we did this for Christmas gifts from my daughter and the Sharpie washed right off with the first wash. (Handwash) :(
    Jennifer

Did yours stay on after baking? We’ve tried this several different ways and the Sharpie rubbed off on ALL of them. Before they were even washed. All of the reviews we’ve read say you have to use these http://www.settocelebrate.com/porcelain-paint-markers-food-safe.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=porcelain-paint-markers-food-safe and that the actual Sharpie permanent markers do not work. I was wondering if you had a secret to keeping the sharpie on it since those other pens are quite expensive.

• says

I’ve heard some say they didn’t have luck with the Sharpie staying on…looks like there’s no rhyme or reason as to why it works or doesn’t work. The paint pen-type markers would work for sure, if you don’t mind the cost. I’m sorry some of you aren’t having success! The only thing I can think that might have helped is I waited a few days before I baked mine. I’ll keep looking for more tips! Also see link above that I posted from A Beautiful Mess! Thanks!

Oh this is SUCH a great idea! My husband loves hot drinks, so I know this would be something he’d use all the time. Totally doing this, and for a couple bucks, I can’t go wrong! Thanks!! :)

wow your blog is divine.. i love your DIYs and the way you edit your pictures!!! the handwriting is good for the mug.. like an abstract handwriting haha! :P

I’m following you via GFC and facebook now..Maybe you’d like to follow back? :)

Valentine’s Day Giveaway on my Blog Win $30 from Chicnova

Love
    Akanksha

Hi ! I just would know, when you say “stick it on a cookie sheet”… Does it mean just to put it on a baking sheet? And which type : those like paper, or silicon made ? Sorry for the weird questions, but i’m french and still have a lack in expressions… Thanks :)

• says

She means a metal baking sheet. Although, I think you could put the mug directly on the wire rack in the oven and it would work. Just be careful taking it out so it doesn’t drop and break!

Trackbacks